Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

"It's a sea of green..."




Hello again!






Wow, 2 updates within 24 hours.... that's impressive. After a finishing a long day yesterday (over 5oo miles and 3 states) I am resting at a Motel in Minnesota...about 20 miles east from South Dakota - woohoo! My mom was a trooper and drove about 11 hours while I sat passenger and took the pictures. (Thanks Mom)


As ya'll know, we reached Wisconsin yesterday morning and ended up finding a scenic byway rather then the Interstate. Sidenote: I saw a sign on the highway that said "Amish cheese, exit 15" so naturally we got off the highway on a mission to find it. No such luck. We found a convenient store, but the girl stared at me like I had 5 heads (might've been my accent) when I asked her about it. Oh well! Anyway, the scenic byway ran along the Mississippi River and we were able to stop along the road, sneak in a campsite, and put my feet in the water. So...now I can say I was in Niagra Falls, Lake Michigan, and the Mississippi River. Do you see a pattern here? :) Not gonna lie, I did feel like Tom Sawyer.


We pulled off on most of the overlooks which were also historical sites. It was really cool to imagine that Indians were fighting the Whites back in the 1800's exactly where I was standing today. From here we crossed a bridge and landed in Iowa on the otherside. We were only in this state for a few miles...but hey, now I can say I was there. Minnesota was next and this pretty much took up the entire day. It was gorgeous!!! It was a 2-lane road, with green pastures on either side full of cornfields, silos, cows, horses, and hay. It was real hot, almost 100 degrees, so my car definitely got a work out, and we on the other hand, just looked like we did. We were hot messes to say the least....but it was all worth it. We stopped at a little gas station and to my excitement- they sold slush puppies! Perfect way to cool off, however, my mom somehow choked on hers and needed to pull over. Like really, who chokes on a slush puppy? (She's fine by the way, but thats more then I can say for her toe that she jammed at the truck stop earlier. It's still black and blue and looks pretty deformed. Like I said, she's a trooper).
We finally got back on I-90 and drove into the sunset. But that wasn't the best part. We pretty much had the highway to ourselves, with the never-ending scenery on either side of us. To make this even better, there was also a storm in the distance, which made for an awesome sky, and crazy lightning, which in turn made for awesome pictures! (See above).


We hadn't eaten a meal since breakfast, and it was 9pm so we stopped at Subway. Shoutout to the Subway in Adrian, Minnesota for making the best veggie delight I ever had!!! (and I usually eat there once a week... huge compliment).

Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, and Crazy Horse are where we are headed! (if you never heard of the Badlands....google it. It's nuts!!!!!!)



Till next time,

Ang (& Mom) :)



PS. Some pics are up on facebook!
OH and thank you for all the nice comments and encouragement!!! I love it! :)


Thought of the day: Why are barns always red or white???

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Sounds fun so far. I have to say I love the quote, "It was really cool to imagine that Indians were fighting the Whites back in the 1800's exactly where I was standing today." Haha, for some reason it made me laugh (probably how it came out of nowhere). Well have fun and stay safe! Watch out for that Amish cheese :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a lot of fun, enjoy and keep sharing...;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Pammy . . . how's that toe of yours? What a way to spend some time in a truck stop . . . jamming your toe? Then gagging on a slushy? I'm glad you're on this adventure; you need to get out some ; ) love you, sis!!

    ReplyDelete